Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Superhero Girl 27


I think somebody was asking how Superhero Girl gets money for buying things like capes and fancy superhero boots, and now we know. I think the idea of a government-sponsored superhero program is a good idea. It'd mean those with powers could spend time developing them and hopefully build a better society. I mean, when you think about it, there are LOTS of superheroes in the world, and they can't all be billionaire playboys or reporters with suspiciously lax bosses who don't mind them mysteriously disappearing in the middle of covering some disaster.

I got a grant to work on comics at the beginning of last year. It was wonderful. I have to hand in a report before March. Fortunately the grant was for working on my next graphic novel, which I finished and will be published in early 2012. Hopefully the grant people will be impressed, and will give me more money down the road (please?).

12 comments:

  1. Tim Horton's? She lives in Canada or something?

    Well, maybe Michigan. I'm pretty close to Canada where I am and no Tim Horton's. A shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. I always wished there was a grant program for people who wanted to create a webcomic and were able to put together a good plan and were able to create a buffer so they could ensure the comic would update regularly.

    Though I'm sure there's more than just Tim Hortons who could use her - any warehouse that does heavy lifting or the like. Heck, UPS, and they used to pay well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim Hortons requires a few more qualifications than that, doesn't it? The ability to mishear orders and give the wrong change, for two...

    And, there's a Timmy's in New York! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steer them towards your blog, it's an indication that your work is fantastic. I think my friends and family are real tired of my sending them links to your strip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superheroes could have corporate sponsorship as well, the way Captain Amazing does in "Mystery Men."

    Or they could be part of a national organization that houses, trains, and generally takes care of them, like in Jeffrey DeRego's "Union Dues" stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She needs to change banks, who needs judgmental ATMs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. SHG could go bounty hunting or finding lost puppies ect..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought everybody in Canada was either a lumberjack, webcartoonist or blogger. At least she'd be good at lumberjack stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tudza: yep, she lives in Canada. Where exactly we're not sure...

    Robert: Most grants are about the development of a project, so it's very possible to pitch an arts council a webcomic.

    Canaan: I found that Tim Horton's and took a picture of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. she can become evil!! XD and rob!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I wonder if they have grants like that in America. Probably not, if the Republicans have anything to do with the budget. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to The Initiative!

    ReplyDelete